Modelle des Kosmos: Modelle des Himmels
History of the planetarium
The construction of the planetaria take almost six years. They are incorporated in the astronomy department of the museum in 1911 and 1912, and remain in operation until World War II. In December 1944, the glass globes of both planetaria are destroyed by bombs, but a simplified design is rebuilt in 1947. The original etching of the constellations in the glass are replaced by paintings. The planetaria remain a part of the permanent exhibition of the museum until the redesign of the astronomy department in 1991.